Reserves vs Newfoundwell

Sat 19 May 18
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Trim Celtic hearts were broken in the cruelest fashion as a 91st minute winner sealed the league title for Newfoundwell. With both previous matches between players the sides ending in draws it looked like this one was going the distance until out of nowhere a long ball and a piece of skill left Celtic players and supporters numb.
The game itself wasn’t as entertaining as last week’s as the prevailing wind that blows through the MDL took hold at times. Celtic made one enforced change with Leon O’Neill replacing James Hyland who had postponed his emigration to Canada to play last weekend’s match but couldn’t delay any longer due to a visa deadline. The hoops started well with Lee Dixon forcing an unconventional save with his foot by the keeper on eight minutes. It was Dixon who forged the next opportunity as he surged down the left wing to cut back to Mark Corrigan who stuck his left-footed shot well but straight at the keeper. Moments later Corrigan turned creator as he calmly lofted a pass over the Newfoundwell defence leaving a race to the ball between Luke Mahon and the keeper where there was only going to be one winner as Mahon slotted home the opening goal in the 19th minute. Luke has had a lot of joy against this opposition scoring in two games and winning a penalty in the other. Ten minutes before the break a rebound fell kindly to Dimmy Higgins in the box but his goalbound effort was superbly blocked. Although they didn’t have any clearcut chances Newfoundwell were dangerous at times with Gavin Meehan forced to make some superbly times tackles. On the stroke of halftime, however, they found a way through as the ball fell to a striker who made no mistake to level the scored.
The second half began with a superb save from Westphal down to his right but apart from one Newfoundwell effort that flashed across the box the game was played out mostly in midfield. Paul Bartley and Meehan superbly mopped up any danger but were rarely threatened. Both midfields toiled and probed but just couldn’t create anything. No risks were taken by either side and it looked like they were both happy to settle for extra-time until that fateful moment. A long ball towards the Celtic endline was chased down by the lively Newfoundwell striker, he managed to keep it in and somehow wriggle past a Celtic defender before pulling the ball back for a colleague to slot home. Celtic didn’t even have a chance to make a substitution as the game was restarted and the final whistle blew before the Trim side could launch an attack. It was a cruel end to a superb campaign and all credit to the management and squad. Its a tough way to lose a league title but probably the best way to win one so congratulations to Newfoundwell, we still have the Reilly Cup Semi-Final in Wednesday to look forward to, a competition that has so far eluded us.


MDL Grounds
Trim Road, Navan, Co. Meath, Ireland

Second Team

1Robbie Westphal Goalkeeper
2Leon O’Neill 13 Defender
3Kian Malone Defender
4Gavin Meehan Midfielder
5Paul Bartley Defender
6Dominic Fagan 12 Midfielder
7Anthony Craig Midfielder
8Dimmy Higgins Midfielder
9Lee Dixon Forward
10Mark Corrigan Midfielder
11Luke Mahon Midfielder
12Aaron Ryan 6 Midfielder
13Colm O’Reilly 2 Forward