Kells Blackwater vs 2003 Boys Prem

Sat 23 Apr 16
Score: 1 - 3

Match Report

Trim Celtic returned to the Grange for the second Saturday in a row for a crucial league match which both sides needed to win to maintain their title challenges. Celtic came out on top in an entertaining match despite going behind early. The Trim side were up for the match right from the off and had 3 half chances in the first 5 minutes, a David Boyle shot after 2 minutes followed by a run and shot by Josh Harris a minute later and a further shot by Josh Harris. However Kells took the lead in the 8th minute direct from a corner. Both teams enjoyed spells of possession for the next period and the next chance of note fell to Celtic in the 21st minute when a Josh Harris free was well saved by the Kells keeper. However Josh was not to be denied 3 minutes later when a through ball was brilliantly flicked on by Kian Oliver into his path and he confidently finished the ball past the Kells keeper to level the match at 1-1. Indeed Celtic could have gone into the lead a minute later when a cross by Kian was met by Josh but this time his shot cleared the bar. Celtic kept pressing for the lead goal and they were rewarded on the stroke of half time when Blake Gibbons played a great ball up the line to Ciaran Caulfield and his cross was finished by Josh to give Celtic a deserved 2-1 half time lead. Celtic carried on in the 2nd half where they left off in the 1st realising the importance of the match and went looking for their 3rd goal. A minute into the half Josh had another fine shot saved by the keeper. David Boyle went on a fine run 3 minutes later but again the keeper saved his shot. Celtic were well on top now and enjoying lots of possession but always felt that the security of a 2 goal lead was needed. Ciaran Caulfield almost gave Celtic this lead in the 38th minute but his shot ended up in the side net. Josh came close to getting his hat-trick in the 41st minute but his shot came back of the bar. Kells had few chances but they did give Celtic a scare in the 48th when they hit the post and in the 55th minute when James Bourke in the Celtic goals made a fine save from a free kick. The elusive 3rd goal did come for Celtic in the 58th minute when a shot by Josh Harris was pushed out by the Kells keeper but Ciaran Caulfield was on hand to score from the rebound. Celtic and indeed their supporters could now relax a bit and indeed they could have had a fourth 2 minutes into injury time when Josh Harris was brought down in the box but his resultant spot kick was saved by the Kells keeper. In a great all round performance by the team in this must win match, the entire back line and keeper were solid throughout, the midfielders done all that was asked of them and dominated this sector but it was up front that Celtic really held the upper hand, special mention here going to Kian Oliver who was starting his 1st match of the season and was impressive throughout. Next up is another league match at home to Enfield on Monday evening before next Saturday’s Cup final. Celtic approach these matches in fine form having remained unbeaten in 2016 and hoping maintain this run for the remainder of the season. Trim Celtic: James Bourke, Josh Harris, Harry Cottrell, Blake Gibbons, Ciaran Caulfield, Joey Cole, Kris Gorman, David Boyle, Sean Tully, Wesley Gibbons, Kian Oliver. Subs: James Molloy


The Grange
Unnamed Road, Co. Meath, Ireland

Kells Blackwater

16 Boys Prem Green