Kells Blackwater vs 16 Boys Prem

Sat 26 May 18
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Celtic travelled to The Grange in search of three points which would push them up the table but they were going to have to do it the hard way with an injury ravaged squad of only thirteen players ,two of whom were carrying an injury. The first half was fairly evenly contested with Celtic having a strong wind behind them and they almost took the lead in the first five minutes with Liam Reilly flashing a first time shot just the wrong side of the post. After fifteen minutes Fionn McEvoy won the ball on the right hand side before bearing down on goal and crashing a long range shot off the angle of the bar and post. Kells then had an excellent chance when Celtic 'keeper made an excellent recovery save to block the ball on the line with the rebound being hammered onto the crossbar and Celtic escaped. The second half probably suited Celtic better playing into the wind as the ball wasn't carrying forward as much and they were playing through the defence rather than over them. Fifteen minutes into the second period Sean Foley played a clever reverse pass into the path of Conor McGinley but McGinley's shot was straight at the 'keeper. Ten minutes later though he wasn't to be denied when great work by McEvoy out on the right saw him send in a low cross, injuring himself in the process, and McGinley tapped in from close range. There then followed a lengthy stoppage as both McEvoy and a Kells player were treated on the pitch before both being carried off. The stoppage seemed to affect Celtic as within ten seconds of the restart Kells were level as the defence seemed to fall asleep. The game looked to be heading for a draw when Evan deCourcey Tobin had two chances on the edge of the box, the second of which came off the defender's hands and the referee pointed to the spot with five minutes to go. There was immense pressure on Andrew Gibney as he stepped up to take the kick with the Kells 'keeper guessing the right side. Gibney ,however, did two things perfectly. He kept the ball low and he hit it with power which meant the 'keeper couldn't get his body behind the shot and it nestled in the back of the net. Gibney later put in a great saving tackle in the box to preserve the lead. The eight minutes of injury time were fraught with danger for Celtic as Mark Cunningham, who came on for the injured Reilly, had to go back off with a dead leg and Reilly had to go back on for the last few minutes. A succession of free kicks and corners with the Kells 'keeper up in the Celtic penalty area led to a few scrambles, one of which saw the ball come back off the post, but Celtic held firm to record a hard earned victory which moved them up to third with games in hand on all the other teams. Best for Celtic on the day were Fionn McEvoy, Eoin Gaffney and Eoghan Lenehan.
Line up: Kevin Dalton, Eoin Gaffney, Andrew Gibney, Adam Wilson, Eoghan Lenehan, Conor McGinley, Evan deCourcey Tobin, Sean Foley, Liam Reilly, Fionn McEvoy, Oran Kirby
Subs: Mark Cunningham (for Reilly), Luke Doyle (for McEvoy)


The Grange
Unnamed Road, Co. Meath, Ireland

Kells Blackwater

17 Boys Div 1