2003 Boys Prem vs Kells Blackwater

Sat 04 Feb 17
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Trim Celtic bounced back in fine style following their disappointing exit from the SFAI Cup when they met local rivals Kells Blackwater in the SFAI North Leinster Regional cup quarter-final at a sunny MDL this morning. This was a great sign of the character of the lads and they got a great start in the 3rd minute when Ciaran Caulfield was brought down in the box. Up stepped David Boyle who assuredly placed the ball to the keeper’s right to give Celtic an early lead. Celtic could have been 2 up in the 5th minute when a fine Josh Harris shot was pushed out by keeper for a corner. The same player also had another chance in the 10th minute when following a great cross by Ciaran his volley just flew over the bar. Celtic were controlling the ball well now with some excellent passing, they continually seeked to breach the resolute Kells defence. Josh had another fine shot saved by the keeper but the feeling on the side line was that the 2nd goal was certain to follow. Celtic suffered a blow in the 24th minute when marauding full back James Molloy went down following a crude challenge and was unable to continue. Aaron Mc Cormack replaced James with Ciaran dropping back into the left full position. Celtic kept pushing on and their efforts were rewarded in the 30th minute when Conor O’Hare was put through and his thunderous shot came back off the bar with the keeper well beaten but luckily for Celtic the rebound fell to Josh who had the simple task of slotting home from 6 yards to double Celtic’s lead. Celtic were cruising now and in total control but things were to take a turn for the worst just before the break when Josh went down injured and during this break David Boyle received a 2nd yellow for leaving the pitch to get a drink of water resulting in him receiving his marching order from the referee.
This gave Kells a lift and for the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half they were camped in the Celtic half but the Celtic defence stood firm during this period and eventually Celtic started to get back into the match despite playing with 10 men. Josh was still getting into goal scoring positions and again in the 55th minute he had another shot go just wide. At this stage Kells were reduced to trying long range efforts to pull a goal back, they did get one back with 3 minutes to go following a corner when the ball deflected of a Celtic defender but Celtic played out the remaining few minutes without any other scares. Indeed Celtic could have had a 3rd in the last minute when Kris Gorman went on a great run and his cross found Conor O’Hare six yards out but his header just went over the bar. This was a great all round performance by Celtic especially after losing a man. Every player can be proud of their performance today, the keeper and defence were resolute throughout, the midfield was supreme and composed in their play. Josh Harris gave a man of the match performance followed closely by Conor O’Hare who was excellent throughout and Ciaran Caulfield excelled in both positions he occupied today. Celtic now play Corduff at home in the semi-final of this competition which will be played in the MDL at 2 pm next Sunday.
Trim Celtic: David Curran, Sean Tully, James Molloy, Josh Harris, Harry Cottrell, Ciaran Caulfield, Joey Cole, Kris Gorman, David Boyle, Wesley Gibbons, Conor O'Hare
Subs: Aaron McCormack (for Molloy)


MDL Grounds
Trim Road, Navan, Co. Meath, Ireland

16 Boys Prem Green

Kells Blackwater