16 Boys Prem vs Enfield Celtic

Thu 23 Aug 18
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

Trim Celtic and Enfield squared up again for the second time in five days as Enfield looked to gain revenge for the league defeat last weekend. This game followed a similar pattern to last week as the home team spurned some great early chances before falling behind. As with last week Celtic managed to turn things around as two Conor McGinley goals looked to have them on their way. Their joy was short lived however as within a minute of the restart Enfield were awarded a penalty which they duly dispatched to leave the scores level at half time. Early in the second half Enfield were reduced to ten men after a crude challenge on Evan deCourcey Tobin resulted in a second yellow for the Enfield player. What followed was relentless Celtic pressure but it seemed like it was one of those days when the ball just won't go in. A perfect example of this occurred with ten minutes to go as Tobin found himself free on the six yard line only to see his fierce shot crash back off the bar. The ball rebounded back to Tobin and he fired it goalwards only for the keeper to get the faintest of touches and tip it onto the crossbar for the second time in three seconds. There were plenty more chances to win the game for the home side but it wasn't to be as fading light led to extra time being reduced to five minutes a half. Celtic very nearly snatched it with the last kick of the game when Tobin fired narrowly over from a tight angle before the final whistle sounded. With both teams scoring their first three spot kicks Celtic were to miss their last two to exit in the cruelest of fashions 5-3.
Trim Celtic: Kevin Dalton, Eoghan Lenehan, Andrew Gibney, Oran Kirby, Eoin Gaffney, Conor Mangan, Evan deCourcey Tobin, Liam Reilly, Conor McGinley, Fionn McEvoy, Cian Russell
Subs: Mark Cunningham (for McEvoy), Mark Dempsey (for Mangan), Adam Dunne, Luke Doyle, Kevin McGowan, James Brady


Tully Park
Summerhill Rd, Trim, Co. Meath, Ireland

17 Boys Div 1

Enfield Celtic