Bellurgan Utd vs 2003 Boys Prem

Sun 09 Oct 16
Score: 1 - 4

Match Report

Trim Celtic made the long but fruitful journey north to the idyllic setting of Flynn Park for the 3rd round SFAI Cup meeting with local side Bellurgan United. Both sides started tentatively, unsure about the opposition and unwilling to take too many chances but as the half progressed Celtic began to create a few chances. Firstly Joey Cole was unlucky in the 16th minute when his free kick flew just over the bar. Six minutes later David Boyle had a fine shot go just wide. The deadlock was eventually broken by Celtic in the 25th minute when Josh Harris’s shot was saved by the keeper but the ball squirmed free to Ciaran Caulfield who tapped the ball over the line to put Celtic in front. Bellurgan immediately responded to this setback and indeed could have been level a minute later but their forward shot over the bar when through on a one on one with Celtic keeper, David Curran. They did grab an equaliser in the 30th minute with a screamer to the top left corner passed David Curran’s despairing dive.
Half time was reached with the side’s level but Celtic knew that despite being level they needed to up the intensity in the 2nd half and to their credit they duly did this. Joey Cole had another fine free kick touched on to the post by the keeper and out for a corner just 2 minutes in and from the resulting corner Kris Gorman’s header was cleared of the line. Bellurgan had their chances too and but for a fine save by David Curran in the 56th minute would have gone in front. The game was to take a dramatic swing after this when a Bellurgan defender was sent off for 2 bookable offences. Celtic really turned the screw now and were back in front in the 60th minute when David Boyle played a through ball to Josh Harris, who just beat the keeper in a race to the ball to poke the ball home the give Celtic the advantage again. With the Celtic full backs getting into more advanced positions now, Sean Tully was on hand in the 62nd minute to receive a lay back from David Boyle and his thunderbolt of a shot was just wide. Three minutes later substitute Conor O’Hare laid the ball off beautifully to Sean Mc Donnell whose shot doubled the Celtic lead and left the Celtic supporters breathing a little bit easier. Celtic introduced their remaining subs at this stage and one of these, Aidan Scott played a majestic ball to Sean Mc Donnell to score his 2nd and Celtic 4th goal in the last minute to put a gloss on a fine performance by Celtic. Best for Celtic on the day were Wes Gibbons and James Molloy in defence, Joey Cole in the middle and Sean Mc Donnell and Josh Harris up front. Celtic will be on their travels again in the next round when will face either Donnycarney Celtic or Swords Celtic later this month. Next weekend it is back to league affairs with a home match against Parkvilla Blues.
Trim Celtic squad: David Curran, Aidan Scott, James Molloy, Josh Harris, Harry Cottrell, Blake Gibbons, Ciaran Caulfield, Joey Cole, Kris Gorman, Aaron McCormack, David Boyle, Sean Tully, Wesley Gibbons , Conor O'Hare, Sean Mc Donnell


Flynn Park
R173, Co. Louth, Ireland

Bellurgan Utd

16 Boys Prem Green