Parkvilla vs 2003 Boys Prem

Sat 14 May 16
Score: 1 - 0

Match Report

Trim Celtic approached their last game and Shield final in a quietly confident mood having previously played and beaten the same opposition in the Cup final two weeks earlier. However as everybody knows each game is different and past results are not always a good indicator, as this match was ultimately to prove. Celtic played into the sun and the breeze in the 1st half and Parkvilla started brightly and pegged Celtic back in their own half for the first part of this match. Celtic had started tentatively and seemed a little nervous in their play. Their 1st chance came in the 6th minute when Josh Harris had a shot from a Ciaran Caulfield cross which was easily saved by the keeper. Chances were few and far between in the 1st half and Celtic had to wait until the 15th minute for their next chance when another cross from Ciaran reached Aaron McCormack at the far post but Aaron was unable to convert his chance. Five minutes later Josh Harris went on a fine run through the middle but his effort was deflected for a corner. There were no further chances until a minute from half time when Kris Gorman had a fine shot just off target.
Celtic turned over at half time quite content to be level having played against the elements and not quite reaching the level of their recent performances. They started the 2nd half well and this half was to be one unconverted chance after another which ultimately was to be their downfall. As early as the 32nd minute Josh and Ciaran combined well but Ciaran’s effort was wide. In the 37th minute David Boyle had a shot well saved by the keeper. Ciaran went on a run 3 minutes later but his cross come shot was just over the bar. Next up in the 47th minute David Boyle had another shot and a minute later Ciaran was through and just as we thought he was sure to break the deadlock he scooped his shot over the keeper but unfortunately also cleared the bar. It was now incessant pressure from Celtic and it was a chance a minute and it looked like it was just a matter of time before Celtic scored. Aaron Mc Cormack was the next to try his luck but his effort was also wide and in the 50th minute James Molloy combined well with Josh Harris who played Ciaran through again but this time his shot was blocked for a corner. One minute later the same player had another shot pushed out for another corner. Celtic were now entrenched in Parkvilla’s half and in the 55th minute Kris Gorman hit the angle of the post and crossbar. Two minutes later Joey Cole played a beautiful cross to the far post to David Boyle but unfortunately his volleyed effort was straight at the keeper. One minute later Kris Gorman was again denied by the woodwork when his shot came back off the bar. With extra time looming Josh Harris has one last effort just go wide and we were now in injury time at the discretion of the referee when disaster struck when on one of their few forays into the Celtic half Parkvilla scored a fortuitous goal to give them the lead. Celtic just ran out of time in their quest for an equaliser and were left devastated at the final whistle. This was cruel on Celtic who have had a magnificent 2nd half of the season and in time will reflect on a superb season but at the moment the disappointment is huge. Best on the day were Harry Cottrell in defence and for his ability to bring the ball out from the back, Joey Cole was again inspirational in midfield despite carrying a slight injury into the match and Ciaran Caulfield was a threat every time he received the ball and went at his man.
Trim Celtic: James Bourke, James Molloy, Josh Harris, Harry Cottrell, Blake Gibbons, Ciaran Caulfield, Joey Cole, Kris Gorman, Aaron McCormack, David Boyle, Wesley Gibbons
Subs: Sean Mulryan (for Bourke), Sean Tully, Kian Oliver, Evan Kennedy
See photos of the match here


MDL Grounds
Trim Road, Navan, Co. Meath, Ireland


16 Boys Prem Green