2002 Boys Prem vs Parkvilla

Sat 16 Apr 16
Score: 0 - 3

Match Report

Celtic lost their first game since November as Parkvilla took all three points in this dress rehearsal for the cup final in two weeks time. With Parkvilla unbeaten all season and fielding a starting eleven of no fewer than seven NECSL squad players it was always going to be a tough task for the hoops but they stuck valiantly to their guns and despite going three goals down early in the second half created enough chances to have gotten something from the game. The first twenty minutes were fairly even with both sides playing some nice football without really penetrating. Then on twenty minutes Parkvilla broke down the left side with their winger sending in a high ball which floated over the heads of the defenders and 'keeper to find the top corner. Right on half time Celtic were to concede again despite a fine save from 'keeper Kevin Dalton who clutched the ball diving high to his right. Unfortunately upon hitting the ground the ball broke loose and the Parkvilla forward squeezed the ball in despite the best efforts of Andrew Gibney who thought he had stopped the ball on the line only for the referee to signal the ball had crossed the line. There were no complaints from the Celtic players about either the goal or the half time score as they knew they had allowed Parkvilla too much room.
The second half started badly for Celtic as they found themselves a further goal behind when Dalton was beaten to a through ball to effectively kill off the game. This seemed to spur on Celtic as they took the game to Parkvilla for the remainder of the game. First, a great run and cross by Conor McGinley found Eoghan Lenehan in space on the six-yard line but his well struck shot was well saved by the Parkvilla 'keeper. Five minutes later Cian Russell found himself in a great position after beating two defenders but blazed his shot over the bar. Celtic kept coming at Parkvilla and last week's matchwinner Evan deCourcey Tobin was next up with a curling left foot shot which again was turned around the post by the 'keeper. In the final few minutes another chance fell to Celtic in the penalty area with Luke Doyle coming close to getting his third goal in three games but it wasn't to be. All in all Celtic can take great heart from their second half performance but they know they will need to do it over the full seventy minutes in a fortnight's time if they are to finish the season with some silverware. Best for Celtic were Eoghan Lenehan, who ran tirelessly all game, Oran Kirby and Evan deCourcey Tobin. Next up it's Enfield in the Premier Shield on Monday night at 6:45 in the MDL.
Trim Celtic: Kevin Dalton, Andrew Gibney, Mark Cunningham, Oran Kirby, Adam Wilson, Andreas Lopez, Daniel Coleman, Liam Reilly, Evan deCourcey Tobin, Fionn McEvoy, Eoghan Lenehan
Subs: Conor McGinley (for Gibney), Cian Russell (for McEvoy), Eoin Gaffney (for Reilly), Luke Doyle (for Lenehan), Jack Vaughan, Kevin McGowan


MDL Grounds
Trim Road, Navan, Co. Meath, Ireland

17 Boys Div 1