Rock Celtic vs First Team

Sun 10 Apr 16
Score: 0 - 1

Match Report

Trim Celtic progressed to only their third ever Challenge Cup Final with a narrow victory over Rock Celtic. Having been beaten by the same opponents at the same stage at the same venue a few seasons ago Trim Celtic made amends on a windy day in Ardee. Facing he breeze in the first half The Trim side started the better with Colm Carney firing in two dangerous crosses and shooting narrowly wide while off balance. The only goal of the game came on the half hour mark when Colm O'Reilly's low corner was deflected over the line by a Rock defender despite the best efforts of 'keeper John Rogers to keep it out. Rock's first chance of the game came after neat play on the edge of the box between Derek Delany and David Ward with the latter firing over from 18 yards. With the next attack the Blackrock side almost fashioned an equaliser but Cyril Halton covered the ground well to block Brian Kilboy's effort. On the stroke of halftime Trim Iain Telford was called into meaningful action for the first time when he kneed away a long range free kick from Shane O'Callaghan that was gathering momentum assisted by the wind.
Undeterred by facing the wind in the second half the Louth side started brightly with Telford called into action to palm over a stinging shot from Rock's Paddy Reilly. After this scare the Trim side came back to life with Anthony Craig shooting over after skilfully turning his man in the box. In an effort to put some more ariel pressure on the Trim back line Rock introduced Des McKeown, however the well organised Trim Celtic defence were in miserly form and gave up very little in the way of chances. At the other end the game should have been wrapped up on more than a few occasions. After a bursting run from defence Eoin O'Connor released the excellent Carney, who in turn picked out Brian Faulkner at the edge of the box but his effort was turned around the post by Rogers. Faulkner then saw his superb volley hit the side netting while Colm O'Reilly also volleyed wide from the edge of the box. Inside the last ten minutes Rogers twice came two his side's rescue first denying Faulkner as the Trim Celtic top scorer turned sharply before firing a shot while looked destined to nestle in the back of the net. Rogers then deflected a Carney effort onto the post as the Meath men desperately sought a second goal. Substitute Aaron Ryan was next to come close when his superb curling shot narrowly missed the top corner from 25 yards. Rogers attempted to be the hero at the other end when a couple of late free kicks were launched into the Trim penalty area but the attempts were in vain as Telford confidently came to claim the most dangerous of the set pieces. In the day a second goal wasn't required as referee Brian Murphy blew for full time after three minutes of injury time as Trim Celtic reached their first Challenge Cup final since 2009.


Unnamed Road, Co. Louth, Ireland

Rock Celtic


First Team

1Iain Telford Goalkeeper
2Eoin O’Connor Forward
3Keith Jones Defender
4Cyril Halton Defender
5Sean FitzGerald Defender
6Paul Campbell Midfielder
7Colm Carney 13 Midfielder
8James Goggins Defender
9Colm O’Reilly 12 Forward
10Brian Faulkner Forward
11Anthony Craig Midfielder
12Aaron Ryan 9 Forward
13Declan Dowling 7 Defender
14Paul Munnelly Defender
15Derek Donohoe Forward
16Conor Daly Midfielder
 1 1